Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Cooking

         Although cooking is more of a hobby to me than it is an actual possibility for future employments, I enjoy practicing a lot in my free time. I am Mexican and the rules are very basic in my home town: if you don´t cook you don’t get married until you do. It’s very weird to think that nowadays those old school rules still apply. But in my case they do so I had to grow up learning how to cook in one way or another. I mainly know how to cook Mexican food but that is not my preference. I enjoy cooking Italian cuisine and all kinds of pastries.


         Considering the fact that I love pastries Christmas is my favorite time of the year. They make all sorts of foods and sweets that are decorated in the cutest ways! Making pastries out of ginger and cinnamon is the best in my opinion because it gives it the perfect Christmas tough especially when you add frosting.

Here is a recipe I found of one of my favorite desserts!

Apple-Cranberry Crisp

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup old-fashioned oats

2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces

5 large Jonathan apples, peeled, sliced

4 Granny Smith apples, peeled, sliced

2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries

3/4 cup granulated sugar

6 tablespoons all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces

Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter a 13 x 9 x 2-inch glass baking dish.

2. Mix first 3 ingredients in bowl. Add 1/2 cup butter and combine using pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.

3. Mix apples, cranberries, sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla in large bowl. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Dot with 1/4 cup butter. Crumble topping evenly over fruit.

4. Bake until apples are tender, about 1 1/4 hours. Cool slightly.

5. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, as desired.

Makes 12 servings.

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/dessert/apple-cranberry-crisp-recipe.html

1 comment:

  1. Mmmmmm . . . that looks and sounds delicious! I think it's great that you know how to cook, not because you should HAVE to, but because it's a nice, helpful and healthy (sometimes) skill to have.

    ReplyDelete